Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP
WE HAVE MOVED!
Yes, the adventure continues, just not here!

If you would still like to RP with us, go to;
http://pmd-roleplay.forumotion.org/

We look forward to meeting you!
WE HAVE MOVED!
Yes, the adventure continues, just not here!

If you would still like to RP with us, go to;
http://pmd-roleplay.forumotion.org/

We look forward to meeting you!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Create your team and explore a completely new world!!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A Whimsical Guide to Making a Character

Go down 
AuthorMessage
❍ᴥ❍
Chief Updater
❍ᴥ❍

Stats
Poke: 1000
Team: None
Inventory:

A Whimsical Guide to Making a Character Empty
PostSubject: A Whimsical Guide to Making a Character   A Whimsical Guide to Making a Character EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 5:07 am

Sooo after an original conversation, which I shall put in a spoiler, I decided to put this up for anyone who needs help with a character in some way shape or form.

An example of how to not write a background story. With a few guests appearing here and there throughout the storytelling.
Ladies and Gents, I present you with Copycat's exotic story of where she came from.

Spoiler:

Anyways....

Making a character:

When you make a character, you usually get stuck at certain things like personality or history right?
Well this guide is here to help you out!

Characters are broken down into various sections based on the bio. Here we will be covering the basic things from the PMD website.

Naming a character:
An incredibly painful experience for some, and an easy task for others. When naming a character you should consider everything else. It's going to stick with your character for well... Forever. So when you pick a name, put some thought into it! Use variety when naming your characters! Don't name them just on their typing or their species! Go with personality as well.~ If your character is just a happy ball of sunshine, go with that! Or you can delve into their history and give them a name that comes from their lineage in general. Names with inner meanings are good too. Overall, pick your name carefully! Make it special, it is your character afterall.

Picking a species:
Ah, the inspiration of the character in general. Usually this is what you start with. But for the sake of someone who has to change their character because of a banned species or change their mind halfway through the bio... This is for you. When picking a species, I recommend looking ahead. Why? Because their future movepool could be a hindrance to you. Make sure you're not stuck with a Splash attack for the rest of your life or crummy moves. Of course this is an RP, but you do want a versatile character right? Right. Consider ALL the things when picking a species. I mean, if they walk on all fours or not. It's hard for an Absol to pick up or carry things. Unless you want to touch everything with your mouth... Ew. Don't touch that grimy food Absol. Please don't. After you've considered your species, the rest should go smoothly. You can definitely make some unique characters with a unique type of Pokemon! It can range from a power hungry Teddiursa seeking to rule everything and everyone to a shy Wailord who wants to write poems but cannot because they don't have hands. Or even an aristocratic Bidoof who speaks in a fancy manner.

Gender, gender, gender. Not much to say. Although I will admit picking a gender for a Pokemon can certainly lead to some amusing things. Like a male Lopunny for example (I hate Lopunnies but regardless...) could lead to some interesting roleplays and dialogue in general. But most importantly, be comfortable with the gender of your character. It's okay to be a guy/girl even if you're the opposite!

Rank, Team Name, Ability, Moves and level aren't too important for this really. That's up to you to pick a proper name and the rest is just decision wise and learned as you level up and evolve.

History: This is really important. :V Like really important. History can range from simple to a long and complicated backstory. But the most important thing is that it should be solid and make sense. There shouldn't be something so outrageous and unbelievable in your history that people will pause for a moment to reread it in confusion. It really doesn't have to spell out their whole life, but explaining why they are an outlaw or a guild member is always a good start. You can talk about their family, where they came from, if they're still in contact with their family, where they're staying, all of that stuff. This is good for future conversation in RPs as well. I'm sure your character will open up to someone eventually. But I should probably post a good example and a bad example. Your character doesn't have to have a super special background, but explaining that they grew up in Grassveil town and that they wanted to join the guild from a young age after being inspired from seeing a famous group walking through town.... Would be nice.

First example:
Once upon a time. Lady Farthington was born in a tree. She grew up and went places. And then she defeated Palkia and Dialga and became the best thing ever since sliced bread. And then she went to the guild but her powers were sapped away by Arceus because she was too powerful and awesome. So now she is 5 months old and has only tackle attack.

Second Example:
Lady Farthington grew up in a comfortable environment on the western outskirts of Pecha Forest. Her family could provide food and comfort with ease and she was part of an elegant and aristocratic family that only dined on the finest of foods. They had several Pokemon to fetch their meals and do their bidding. Spoiled to death from a young age, Lady Farthington saw herself as a princess of the finest kind. Her pride at being a Meowth was only surpassed by that of her brother, Sir Farthington, who was the most proud of Princes. After living in the lap of luxury and never having to lift a claw, the Farthington family was attacked and robbed by a vicious murder of Murkrows who took everything from them. Their servants fled to the surrounding forest and they had nothing to their names. Lady Farthington was forced to fight and work for her meal every day, living the nitty gritty life of a normal Pokemon of the forest instead of a spoiled Meowth of a wealthy family. Her brother on the other hand, vanished on his own, swearing revenge on the Murkrow. Eventually after building up a small amount of Poke, she debated on visiting Grassveil town to buy supplies instead of searching high and low for them. The journey would be much quicker, it was just a matter of getting there and back in one piece. After venturing into the town once, she was surprised at the kindness and friendliness of the Pokemon around. Due to her nature though, she charged in, demanding on the best with the little bit of Poke she had to her name only for her to get laughed at by the shopkeepers like she was making a joke. Embarrassed, she left with her money, only to be stopped by a kind traveler. She explained to Lady Farthington that her behavior was odd to those around her. These Pokemon were from a different lifestyle, and would not understand her demanding ways. Confused, the Meowth decided to try a different approach and made her way home with one simple Oran Berry. Feeling proud, she began to work harder to earn money and travel into town from time to time to buy supplies instead of fighting with every single Pokemon she met for the smallest scrap of food. Eventually she became a known traveler in town, stopping by to make her business and leaving when she was done.

Other:
So this is where you can specify anything really. From friends, to likes and dislikes, to fears and personality in general. I guess I shall talk about Personality above all other things though really.

Personality:
This is where your character will really shine. This is what really makes them unique above all else. You could have a legendary character (which technically isn't allowed) and have them be the ruler of all things living.... But if they have a dry personality it's not all that fun is it? Make your character special through their personality. It'll make them fun to roleplay and make them an interesting character in general. Are they a little mood swingy? A romantic? Do they respond to a greeting in a formal or casual way? Are they naturally shy or outgoing? Make sure you touch all the bases when thinking about a character's personality! It should be solid and consistent unless someone is influencing them to change, which shouldn't just happen overnight! An Anti-social character is going to have problems communicating, and that is very important to remember. That is something you want to be careful of when making a character. A serious no-fun kind of character can still be placed in humorous situations, but at the same time take advantage of serious situations as well. There is no such thing as a perfect personality. This is incredibly important to remember. Give your character flaws. Maybe they can be a bit of a space case, stubborn, bratty, blunt, stupid, careless, aggressive, or anything else you can think of! Of course they have perks and likable traits, but flaws are important too! They help balance out your character and make you connect with them as well.

Creating Fears, Likes, and Dislikes:
A character has something they have to be afraid of. Surely no Pokemon (or person.. For you free RPers... Or anima- Whatever.) is completely fearless? Right? Yes I'm right. If you're not afraid of ANYTHING you're lying. :U Give a character something to be afraid of. Perhaps heights, a certain typing of Pokemon, or maybe a certain Pokemon in general. Or perhaps they have an obsession. They absolutely adore those cute little Pidgey they see fluttering around or adore Pecha berries perhaps?
Likes and Dislikes are always good too. Say your character LOVES to break out into song and dance, much to the disdain of another team member. Or they absolutely haaaate water or cold weather. It gives your character some more substance.~

Appearance
Unless your character is shiny, this in my opinion.. Isn't all too important. You can mention the odd bits here and there about what color adventure scarf they're wearing or if they have a scar or something, but don't get too crazy. xD A Pikachu with Justin Bieber hair isn't going to get very far without someone stopping him (Her) to question why they have such weird head fur. Although on the bright side, you'll get some hilarious events out of it. xP On the plus side of making them normal, you'd be able to focus more on their personality and character development instead of hair flipping and typing out the fact they blew their bangs out of their face every five minutes.

Character Development:
So you made that character yes? I bet you did. I bet it got approved, but it never hurts to COME BACK. We get lonely here. And we have cake to draw in members like Wist who will remain forever faithful while we use members like Axi as pillows. Yes we say we. Because Jonny Koopa.
Anyways, developing a character. Yes, you have made that character. But what about them? Are they going to stay the same... Forever? No, no they should not. As a character they should develop in some way shape or form unless they are a static character meant for selling orbs or something pointless that nobody cares about. (Nobody cares about you Orbs. U so useless.) But as a convincing character, they should change in some way, shape, or form sooner or later. Perhaps they mature up a bit, or soften up when talking to a certain Pokemon they start to consider family. Or maybe they learn to control that terrible anger management little by little thanks to the help of a kind friend or ally. Either way, your character should change somehow! Or at least start to show sides someone would never expect. Like a sensitive side a tough looking Hitmonchan has when it comes to taking care of flowers. Or... Something.

Honestly, that's all I can type for now after staying up way past my bedtime. I am incredibly sleepy. Hopefully this is alright?

If you feel there is anything you want to add, just say so. xD

Edit:

Something important regarding a character. When it comes to movesets, levels, and abilities...
Don't make your character lord of the overpowered herpaderps. Really, at least make yourself faulty in some way shape or form. This applies to RPs as well. Don't make your character sooo impossible to beat that it's not fun for anyone. But this is obvious, and applies to Godmodding as well. Make sure you give them some realistic qualities in some way, shape, or form. They can't be the fastest, strongest, most intelligent, most elegant, most beautiful, most evil... And so on and so forth and blah blah blah.
Back to top Go down
http://milfeyu.deviantart.com/

A Whimsical Guide to Making a Character
Page 1 of 1